What's New at Amazon.com

Friday, June 22, 2012

Runescape: Get Your Flaming Skull (While They Last!)

My last post, I was trying to decide what to work on (again), and had chosen Thieving.  At the time, the Pyramid Plunder mini-game was keeping me occupied.  Since then, I've picked pockets from knights, guardsmen, robbed from the mummies, and stolen seeds from the Master Farmer.  It's nice to have so much variety.  
Before logging in, it's always good to check the Runescape site for updates.  This time, the headline read "Get Your Flaming Skull!"  Okay.  I'm thinking Ghost Rider, or maybe Dormamu from Dr. Strange.  Clicked to see what was up.  Turns out it's a purely cosmetic item to wear in the headgear slot, and yes, it looks kind of like Ghost Rider.  Pretty cool, actually.  But the Flaming Skull is only given when you redeem a 90 or 100 day gift card between 22 June and 15 July, 2012.

I'm not fond of those kind of deals, but usually the hook isn't something I want.  This, on the other hand, sounded way cool.  Didn't just want it, I needed it.  Looked to see where the cards are available.  Ordinarily Monique and I just pay online.  Since we've been members for about 8 years now, our monthly dues are about $5.00 each.  Not too bad for all the time we play.

There were three places that might work.  Gamestop, Wal-Mart, and Target.  All are local.  Today Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer came out, and after the showing at 4:30, it was time to hunt cards.  Theater and Gamestop are both in the mall, so a quick visit there was up first.  They had 30-day cards, but I didn't think 3 of those would count the same as a 90-day gift card.

Next stop was Wal-Mart.  Had to do a bit of digging around, but common sense and luck led me to them.  Weren't many on the peg, maybe 3 plus one that was all dinged up.  That's okay... All I needed were 2!  Together, they came to $45.  But that's okay, it was money we would have spent anyway, since we always keep our memberships up to date.

Got home, redeemed our gift cards, logged in...  and found a Flaming Skull in the bank. 
Flaming Skull and Standing in a Fire... Looks like a spirit of vengeance!
Like I said, I usually don't like these deals.  It's not always convenient nor available to find a gift card.  Normally, the incentive is something purely cosmetic and has no appeal for me.  But this time, it was just calling to me.  I knew if I didn't make the effort, I would always look back and wish I'd gotten a Flaming Skull.

Yes, it's useless.  I didn't have to accomplish anything in-game to earn it.  Though I did have to go on a real-world quest to obtain mine!!  But doggone, it just looks cool.  You can change the color any time to blue, green, or purple, and back to red.  When you move, you leave colored flame trails.  And it makes you look like Ghost Rider... maybe next time around Jagex will offer a flaming motorcycle.  :^)

No comments: