What's New at Amazon.com

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Runescape: TzTok-Jad Interlude... Getting Stomped on by Jad One More Time!


 After months of off and on Slaying, and a recent dedicated push to 99 my Slayer skill,  Kuradel finally... FINALLY... assigned Jad to me as a Slayer task!  I didn't want to waste time trying for him without some/any exp benefit, so I've been waiting till I got an  assignment to try.  My old guide on beating Jad by Ancient Curses/Deflects no longer works.  Jagex 'fixed' it.  Man, I really hate that.  They also 'fixed' the Vengeance technique.  As a result, I can' beat TzTok Jad any more.  There are no more non-combat methods to use.
I want to go back and figure out another way that works for me, but am focused right now on Slayer.  Making it a bonus assignment is the perfect practice.  I get to try it, and if I fail, at least there's some basic Slayer experience.  
So, spent the weekend practicing to Jads new sounds.  Yep, that's new sounds, courtesy Jagex, as of sometime mid-2011.  Have to learn new sounds to trigger the reflexes.  Hunted for techniques I thought might work for me.  Decided to get him halfway down, then Dragon Claw him to death.  Since I can't do Overloads, but I CAN do Extreme Strength, Attack, and Defense, I figured that would be sufficient.  I don't have a Godsword, but I've got Karamja Gloves 4, which let me die and be reborn at Jad once a day.  So I figured I'd slap him as hard as I can, get killed, and hit him a couple more times.  Seemed reasonable.  
Unfortunately, it wasn't enough.  Those darn healers topped him off faster than I could damage him.  Once I realized I wasn't going to make it this trip, I got crazy.  Running at Jad, chasing him, trying not to get hit while I took my shots at him.  In a strange way, it was kind of fun.  He still killed me, but I've never done so well at Jad before.  Usually, I can't handle the prayer switching.  This time, I was doing all kinds of other things, and still surviving.  Pretty cool.

I can't wait until I get Jad assigned again.  I'm still searching for better ways to kill him.  I'm a Prayer Switching Klutz, so I need something pretty simple to follow.  But I'm getting better at Prayer Switching.  Maybe better enough to eventually switch Prayer and still manage eating, drinking, potting, and dealing with the healers.
Below is the setup I used.  It got me there with all my food, and lots of prayer pots left.  It even let me get Jad down halfway, then chase him all over the cave.  When I died, I still had plenty of supplies.  I just missed one prayer switch too many…

If you're reading this, and looking at my setup, I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Not stupid stuff, please.  But I'd really appreciate some honest help and suggestions.
Here's what I wore:
Slayer Helm
Amulet of Fury
Armadyl Chestplate
Armadyl Chainskirt
Rune Crossbow
Dragonfire Shield
Soul Wars Cape
Broad-tipped Bolts (5,000)
Barrows Gloves
Ranger Boots
Archer's Ring (Not imbued)
Aura: Reverence (But I'm thinking on trying "Knockout Blow" next try.)

Inventory:
Dragon Claws
Karamja Gloves (for fighting Jad so I'll respawn on the spot when he kills me)
Diamond Bolts (e)
Excalibur (Elite Enhanced)
Prayer potions (4 serving) - 10
Rocktails - 7
Runes for Vengeance (Lunar spellbook- 4 Astrals, 8 Deaths, 10 Earths per cast)
(I brought 40, 80, and 150 just for the heck of it)
Extreme Att, Str, Def
Range Pot


Before going in the fight cave, I sip a super set and range pot from the bank just to make the beginning faster.


On wave 61, I took a break.

Killed the 1st 360, and before killing the 2nd:
Turn off auto retaliate long enough to:
Cast Vengeance
Switch to Karamja Gloves
Switch to Diamond Bolts and set Range to Long Distance
Make sure Quick Prayers are set to Turmoil and Soul Split for Meleeing
Sip Pots (Extreme Att, Str, Def, and a Ranging pot)

Turn Auto Retaliate back on and kill the remaining 360.


Deflect, Vengeance, and Range Jad till the Healers show up.
Set Quick Prayers to Turmoil and Soul Split, turn them on as the healers arrive.
(Healers will heal Jad - even if you distract them - if you're too close to Jad.  I think this was part of my problem)

At half hit points, go all or nothing and Dragon Claw Spec Jad.
(Should I bring Spec Restore potion for extra hits?)

 I can be killed and revived on the spot once a day with Karamja Gloves 4
Maybe I should bring a Restore Potion for Special Attack?

I've got maxed combat stats, so I know my character can do it.  I'm just very clumsy at Prayer Switching, and easily lose my focus.
Anyway, that's my gear, and a few random thoughts that might help.  I'd love to hear some ideas from someone who's been there and won!

No comments: